Wednesday, January 28, 2009

A Search for Lost Things

HAVE YOU SEEN ME?


I was reluctant to use the blog for my own selfish needs but I have sunk to a new level of helplessness in this journey of recovering my lost things. I come now in an attempt to awaken the z'chus of the Stollel Ha'Kadosh:

This past Monday night/Tuesday morning my laptop was taken from the Muss Beis Midrash (sometimes referred to as the "Klein Beis Midrash"). I have left it there on many other occasions and had no reason to suspect that this night would be different. I am usually in there until a decent hour but that night I left my laptop charging on a table near the door and retired early. The last one out of the Beis Midrash was one of the Albert-twins and he assured me that he saw it as he departed. He figured I would return later in the evening.

From my experience, I am aware that students do not come into the Muss Beis Midrash at the hours of the incident. What does enter the doors between 2AM and 6:30AM is a whole bunch of foreskin. I am nearly certain that one of the YU employed areilim removed my computer and took it for his own needs, (though at this point, everyone is suspect...even sruli.)

After a long night of sleuthful detective work led by A. Lichtschein, Gabby Danielli and Garritanya, we had made some progress. We interrogated the extremely cracked security guard outside Muss, we questioned my good pal the kind colored fellow who cleans the Annex and the Main Beis during the late night hours (it turns out he's not really 25 but is 37 and a grandfather! Mazal Tov! His son is 22 (do the math), his daughter is 20, both went to college and have cars and apartments), and then finally, we interrogated the #1 suspect, Dixon - the shady security guard (who I hope doesn't frequent kolleltamid.blogspot.com.) After a long series of questioning, Lichtschein thought he was clean but Gabby and myself are still not so sure.

I had a big chunk of my life on this computer and in a single moment it was gone. I have nowhere to turn. It's 3:12 AM and I'm using Pomerantz's computer to write this. All I can do is beseech you, Members of the Stollel, to have my laptop in mind, and maybe in the z'chus of our joint efforts, the culprit will return the computer to the Beis Midrash and everything will be back to normal.

The whole experience has not been terrible. I have learned these past few days what it means to really have something on your mind at all moments of the day; to stay focused and concentrate on a single concept without distraction. It's been a very strange, yet enlightening, experience. R' Tzaddok (as well as many other tzaddikim) writes that a person should take note of the extent of passion or kochos that a person has towards something (often the passion of a taiva...in this case: my constant thinking about my silly computer) and realize that they possess within them selves such intense power which can be channeled and used for more holy and important matters.

With the help of the Almighty all will be well, regardless of what happens with the computer, and we will soon reconvene in the Stollel in our new location in the sweet land of Zion.

-jw

[Additionally, if anyone has any advice on how I can go about looking at the YU personnel in a positive light, I'd love to hear. I'm having a lot of trouble not being a big racist these days.]

15 comments:

  1. maybe the yu personelle are jewish...(does that help?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. im so sorry kadosh,we should be mispallel....do they have cameras?

    ReplyDelete
  3. black is beautiful...chocolate is delicious...dont be a hata....ahavas chinam tavi es hageulah...aka u gota luv yo brothas from anotha motha
    peace

    ReplyDelete
  4. kadosh, maybe its in ur tallis bag.
    (footnote-story from the tall kohen)

    ReplyDelete
  5. seriusly though, this is not pashut. i will try my best to find the missing laptop. i will ask marquis if hes heard anything in the darkness of the streets. also you can use my laptop if u ever need.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did you the Dean? Can you check the video cameras?

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're very very talanted, it definitely stinks to be missing all your work but imy'h you'll have a long future of doing all your unique weinberg computer stuff and you won't even care about the stuff you lost anymore (I'll still daven tho)

    ReplyDelete
  8. you know jd, you may be right. I do not remember him looking in his talis bag.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow sorry Ive been behind on te log, I had a busy day at work yesteday. JW I am terrible sorry - I knw a little how you feel twice i had my lap top break, once the hard drive stopped working, and once the screen cracked, I know it isn't the same, but I feel your pain my broth (from the same motha- that was for you anon jan 29 @ 1:39 pm)
    I wish I was in YU to help you search, I love to play detective, in fact one time I was standing onthe steps outside of Morg, and I saw a shady looking guy take pictures of Muss, I quickly notified the security guards and they investigated him and it turns out that he was just a student taking a photography class - and I guess he wasnt lying b/c Muss is still here today.
    On a separate note - I didnt know you guys are boys with Danielli - tell him about me, if you think that Couch Yid is Ghetto, you should ask him about "Floor Yid".
    Again, JW I'm terribly sorry about your laptop - I will also daven, and I hope you get it back. Your situation, and getting our cars broken into/stolen in the heights are two things that really annoy me - and as simple yidden there is nothing that we can do.
    We can only take this as a nisayon from Hashem and move on.
    May we all grow from this and live in Yishub Adar where we wont need computers or cars, and we'll have each other and beans.
    Good Shabbos!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have never really written on blogs b4 - but when i realized "couch yid" is my "floor yid"=mikee, i could no longer resist. Mike my chashuv friend the hostel is still open and i can upgrade u from the egg crate to a BED that is the least i can do for the one who came to the recue to get me to UMAN2008. btw JW i changed my mind- The Arel who stole the silver kli kodesh - is not only an arel but he is apart of the "anshei cham"- after having thought about this during my ride back from tenek i stand firm that it maybe grampa 37!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. maybe make a seudas hoda'ah. my friend's newly acquired used motercycle got stolen in YERUSHALAYIM he made aseudas hoda'ah (we jews ,esp chasidim, thank HASHEM for good and what may seem lihefich the same way). BTW a short while later his motorcycle somehow showed up!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. And he made another seudas hoida'ah

    ReplyDelete
  13. nice... Gaby, why did you capitalize arel?

    ReplyDelete
  14. sruli- wats up chasid- i dnt know i guess i missed that class in english comp.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Naisss....Naissss... (clapping hands)

    have emunah and don't be yai-ush. " Ein shum Yai-ush"

    ReplyDelete