Sunday, December 27, 2009

To build a conscious community...

I was sick a few weeks ago, lying in bed for most of the day, and as I rested there, unable to think because of the throbbing in my head, I remember thinking that I wish someone would know I was sick so they could daven for me.

It was a one-day virus, a 24-hour bug if you will, and was certainly no cause for alarm but as I sat immobilized in bed I found myself reading Yehoshua Starrett's translation of Tzav V'Ziruz and came across the following passage...

"So the way to minimize and even dissolve this "I," this selfishness that separates you from G-d, is to seek out close friendships with like-minded spiritual seekers. Each one should be as concerned about the other's welfare as his own. Share each other's worries and joys, help and guide each other on the spiritual path..."
~ To Heal the Soul pg. 140


Now I wasn't looking for anyone to seriously worry about me but it got me thinking that the members of the Stollel and the greater community should at least be familiar with each others Yiddishe names in order that we may pray on each others behalf. Of course one can pray for another without knowing their specific name, but I thought that it might be something worthwhile to do...

And so I created a spreadsheet. Usually we make these spreadsheets after hearing of something seemingly bad, in order to split up Tehillim or to learn on someone's behalf, but I thought that there is no reason why we cannot pray for each others health and well-being without the initial negative impetus.

Anyone should feel free to enter there name. Some people may think it strange to give others your name, something usually reserved for the sick, but in this day and age I think we could all use the extra prayers...

7 comments:

  1. picture looks like the cover of "The Dawn"

    ReplyDelete
  2. moshe tzvi weinberg and family tried to add their names but it wont let us...any thoughts?
    It seems locked...oh, and next time, instead of lying there dreaming about someone davening for you just give us a call :) (Alisa said she would even consider giving up some of her precious shabbos soup for the cause...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i also tried adding my name but it did not work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice touch with the "slave name" - you gave me a nice laugh

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe we should have some sort of system making it more practical to actually have people davening for each other - there are lots of names on the list and its kind of overwhealming (alicht- spell check pls). Maybe we should have some kind of a secret santa method or something like that. Just a suggestion...

    ReplyDelete
  6. dont you mean mystery maccabee?

    ReplyDelete