Monday, February 15, 2010

Jewish Stollel Wedding Recap - אשרי העם שככה לו

As I sat waiting for my flight to arrive to take me from O'Hare International Airport in Chicago back to JFK, I noticed a good chaver of mine checking in in the distance. I waved to Max and he made his way over to where my parents and I were sitting.

We sat there talking and it was then when he asked me if I could do him a favor. He told me that he had a friend, newly religious, who was to get married in a little less then a month. The chassan's family was not really religious, and the chassan himself was concerned that there wouldn't be the level of yiddishe simcha and dancing that he so wanted on his day of marriage. He had asked Max that if he knew anyone who could come to add to the simcha he should invite them. And so Max asked me if I would come.

From that moment on I knew this was a job for the Stollel.

I told Max to get back to me closer to the wedding and I would post it on Stollel blog in an attempt to gather some of the Stollelnicks together for this Yiddishe Simcha, despite the fact that nobody knew either the chassan or kallah.

The responses came fast and furious. "Down," said the Cheese Choker in response to the posed question: "Anybody down?" TzidkasAzriel said, "Down" soon after. Gaby, DSchwartz, and others followed. Rides to the Rose Castle were being arranged and the Stollel was quick in action.

As we arrived, we found out that the chassan was Sefardishe Yid and so there was no official chassan's tisch. The badekin took place right after the shmorg.



The badekin was a great success and TzidkasAzriel was on the scene to capture the post-badekin interview.



The notorious G.I.D. was spotted spitting hot fire as we waited by the chuppah.



The righteous members of Project Recharge found ways to occupy themselves while we waited.









Because nobody knew either the chassan or kallah we were learning all about them as the morning progressed.







And then it happened.
Nobody expected it.
We then knew the level of righteousness of the chassan as he accepted upon himself the greatest tikkun on behalf of all of Israel, the tikkun of Big Bird.



The wedding procession continued in a traditional manner.



We danced the chassan and kallah to the yichud room singing tunes of redemption and rebuilding.






~
The Stollel is not known for sitting around and twiddling thumbs and so despite the fact that chassan and kallah had been danced to the yichud room, the Stollel rikud continued into the main hall.
The band was taken aback, confused as to how the chassan and kallah could have been here so soon. They soon realized it was just a bunch of neo-hassidim and joined in.
(Something to keep in mind: Nobody on either side knew who any of these sidelocked, scraggly bearded, horn-blowing individuals were.)








We managed to find some empty seats and sat down to begin the festive meal.












The glass elevator began to rise and the band began to play. The band-leader roared:
"For the first time..."

And nobody knows really knows what happened next.





(Note: Possibly the fastest coerced chassan on the shoulders pick-up featuring Corey Fuchs)










The Stollel lined up to show off their moves, first before the chassan, then before the chassan and kallah.






The band continued by playing the song of the day. After all, today was Rosh Hodesh Adar.



And so the wedding came to a close.
While we could have used Pinchas ben Elazar to finish the simcha by eliminating the Bnos Moav, the Stollelnicks packed up into their wagons, another wedding under their belt, and drove off into the sunset.

28 comments:

  1. im pashut crying...never laughed so hard- quickest pick up of a chosen ever! beautiful wedding, and great jam at the table

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow ben oded really botched this one. Big mistake not showing up

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ben oded, same, clearly this wedding was missing some of my style

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ ben oded & Mitzvah Boy - Im with you guys on this one. I regret "pulling a codstein", or should we say a "sodstein".

    ReplyDelete
  5. props to J-Wein for the post....you've made adar at work that much less depressing.
    shkoyach to the entire chevra for pulling this off, this should be the beginning of many world-changing stollel events

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gevalt post! Great to see the Rechargers and the Stollelnicks got along nicely... I'm with Couch Yid, Ben Oded and Mitzvah Boy on this one, I'm gonna regret this for a while... Stupid schoolwork...

    ReplyDelete
  7. somehow i ended up in Queens and played couch yid for two hours in the middle of the day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ Mitzvah Boy & Ben-Oded & Couch Yid - I'm with all you guys on the one also. can we have a Mulligan?

    ReplyDelete
  9. @mitzva boy @benoded @couch yid @ hangover rebbe @alicht i too sorely regret not attending

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Mitzvah boy, mkirsch, ben oded, couch yid, alicht and hangover rebbe: I will keep my eyes peeled for more random sephardi weddings in need of some shofars and ruach

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can you imagine if they would have also had some Na Nach music playing there?

    ReplyDelete
  12. yea it wouldve been sweet

    ReplyDelete
  13. It also would've been pretty cool if Shmadt came in and sang Hentelach

    ReplyDelete
  14. This really looked Epic. I regret being too lazy to change.

    ReplyDelete
  15. @ Hungover Rebbe- sorry i forgot to mention you in the previous "@" comments

    my bad.

    ReplyDelete
  16. A big yasher koach to max saltzman for informing the stollel of this event.

    And a big yasher koach to TANK for filming the whole thing.

    Big yasher koach to g.i.d. for letting me jump over him.

    Big yasher koach to cheese choker for being hilarious

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mamesh. What a Kiddush Hashem. Add me to the list of people who regret not going...

    ReplyDelete
  18. STOLLEL SHEVA BRACHOS??

    ReplyDelete
  19. a gray sweatshirt was found at the wedding. if anyone lost it let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you so much for my first stollel wedding it was nothing shy of unbelievably

    ReplyDelete
  21. the regrets are pouring in as fast as the "down"s poured in

    ReplyDelete
  22. I think the gray sweatshirt belongs to my zeeskeit Roovain. He is a sweety but he can be so clumsy sometimes. Thank you Josh W., I thank Hashem every day that my Roovele has such wonderful chaverim like you boys. I told him not to go out in the cold without his sweatshirt and he must’ve forgotten it at the chasuna. Oy vey, when will he grow up! Der Aibishter Zol Hubben Rachmanus Oif Mir!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Y'all are good, warm-hearted kids. Coming through YU, I thought the next generation of Jews was effed. I comment before you humbly corrected.

    ReplyDelete
  24. i nominate dani kaye/cheese choker as mvp of those videos, wow cc you're hilarious. the interview w/ diller, the "oh...yea...oh...yea" before the chassan & kallah came out, unbelievable

    ReplyDelete
  25. UFARATZTA!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_YrNdV7duM

    ReplyDelete
  26. the kids table. that's all i can say. the kids table. gevalt!

    ReplyDelete
  27. i got a link to this post from one of my cousins who was at the wedding as an anniversary gift (today is R"H adar). thank you everyone for an awesome wedding!

    ReplyDelete